Google

Re: Selling Banner Ads

From: Rebecca Otis <rebecca_at_carolhurst.com>
Date: Thu 6 Apr 2000 09:39:34 -0400

RICHARD KIES WROTE:
> I have been selling banners on the web for three years
> on a website targeted at the agriculture industry...my
> advice would be to start with selling directly to
> potential advertisers, while at the same time
> cultivating good relationships with ad agencies.

Do you find that contacting these advertisers via email
works or are cold calls more effective? I must admit
I'm a coward about cold calls. I don't have any sales
background. I'm running a niche web site with 250,000
ad impressions a month but I put most of my efforts
into the writing and coding of the website. I'd like to
find someway to streamline selling directly so that it
doesn't take too much from the content development
time.

I have been selling advertising through a network
without great results and selling only a few ads
myself through company contacts I already have or to
companies who contact me about advertising (or about
anything else).

Once I'm corresponding with people through email or on
the phone I seem to do pretty well at completing the
sale and providing good service after the sale. It's
finding interested advertisers that seems formidable
to me.

Rebecca Otis rebecca_at_carolhurst.com
Carol Hurst's Children's Literature Site
www.carolhurst.com