Google

Re: Internet advertising versus Direct Mail

From: Stuart Hochwert <shochwert_at_myfree.com>
Date: Sat 8 Apr 2000 10:33:56 -0500

ILONA KAUREMSZKY WROTE:
> I'd like to appeal to our members who come from a
> direct marketing background and are using the Internet
> for marketing opportunities. I'm dealing with a client
> has a direct mail background. They are considering the
> switch to do Internet advertising but want to know what
> the benefits are versus traditional Direct mail.
> Thoughts, please? Have there been any studies published
> on this?

My background is in direct mail and publishing. My
company is now one of the largest on-line newsletter
publishers of niche content - over 15,000,000 million
monthly opt-in circulation.

The Internet is a wonderful medium for targeting, but
in most cases is no better than traditional direct
mail. Yes, many direct marketers are happy with a 2%
response. The same will be true of the Internet.
Remember, we are talking 2% in direct mail who ordered,
versus 2% who clicked on a banner. It is important to
convert the metrics to apples versus apples.

There are tens of thousands of niche direct mail lists
available that assure high response rates in select
categories. Want to reach Cross Stitchers - they are
over 10 lists available. Want to reach Model
Railroaders - again, many lists available.

Stuart Hochwert
shochwert_at_myfree.com
MyFree.com, Inc.
3400 Dundee Road, Suite 236