Google

Re: Flash in the pan

From: Katrina Bell <katrina_at_projectalpha.com>
Date: Tue 25 Apr 2000 14:20:06 -0700

PATRICIA PHILIPS WROTE:
> I would be interested in knowing of all the people in
> this group and their clients, who has a flash intro on
> their site and how often is it just skipped over? I
> think flash is visually interesting, but it doesn't
> seem to be useful in communicating to an audience who
> uses a modem. Why even bother?

Hi Patricia. Most of the time, there is probably no
point. In my experience, as part of an internet
consulting group that pays close attention to
usability, a flash intro is not appropriate for most of
our clients. If you are using a web site for business,
the whole game is about ease of use. Why put up a
barrier to some customers (who don't have the
appropriate equipment to enjoy it) if all they want to
do is get info or make a purchase at your site. If
your client's site is more about entertainment or
"being cool" I say go for it. I know my 2-year old
fully enjoys the animation and music on the kid sites I
show her.

Lucky for us all, the technology is available for
companies to track their users specific capabilities
and use this info to provide custom content.
Unfortunately, it don't come cheap.

For clients where usability matters (most for us), I'd
say don't bother.

Katrina Bell
Director of Marketing
Project Alpha, Inc.