Google

Re: Flash in the pan

From: Bill Anderson <bill_at_immortalitysystems.net>
Date: Tue 25 Apr 2000 16:50:10 -0600

PATRICIA PHILIPS WROTE:
> I would be interested in knowing of all the people in
> this group and their clients, who has a flash intro on
> their site and how often is it just skipped over? I
> think flash is visually interesting, but it doesn't
> seem to be useful in communicating to an audience who
> uses a modem. Why even bother?

I would it depends on a few factors. Among these I
would include:
o Your target market
o What you do about browsers that can't don't support it
o Your use of it

To a certain extent, both businesses and consumers
expect to see some sort of 'multimedia' display to
establish any credibility. If you don't have it, you
must not be serious about your site/business. by the
same token, overuse of it can lead to the opposite;
being perceived as all show, and no substance.

This can be especially problematic if you don't provide
an alternative for or opt-out procedure. On some of
mine, I use a javascript test, and a pair of intro
pages. If the browser doesn't have flash, they don't
see the flash page.

This has the potential to bite me, in that browsers
that don't have it, and would get it, miss the
opportunity, but the tradeoff is IMO, worth it. No
futzing around with plug-ins.

Aside from that, I have done rather informal queries,
with the only difference being the addition of a flash
intro. In those instances, the flash intro powered site
received a higher confidence and appearance of
professionalism and trust than the same site without.
YMMV.

Bill

--
Bill Anderson bill_at_immortalitysystems.net
         Systems to stand the test of time.