Re: ClickZ's Delivering on Email - The Battle Over Permission

From: Bill Anderson <>
Date: Thu 27 Apr 2000 18:59:05 -0600

> The debate seemed to end in a consensus that opt-in and
> opt-out were both legitimate forms of email marketing.
> Duwaik maintained his position that if all legitimate
> email were opt-in, it would be easier for users and
> legislators to distinguish it from outright spam. But
> what did the audience think? At the end of the session
> the audience was polled and the results indicated that
> 50% of them were split down the middle on the issue.

> This is not surprising, given that the people polled
> were marketers and other industry people. I bet if
> actual customers were asked, the numbers would be
> heavily in favor of opt-in. I conduct usability

I don't recall if it was Forrester or IDC, but a recent
study showed that targeted ads, base dupon website
usage or a questionairre would be acceptable by ~55% of
the people polled, as long as there was an opt-out

If you like, I'll see if I can dig that up.

Bill Anderson
     Systems to stand the test of time.
Immortality Systems