Google

Re: Web Site Statistics

From: Philip Mak <mfraser_at_SEAS.GWU.EDU>
Date: Sat 13 May 2000 18:52:09 -0400 (EDT)

SANA AKILI WROTE:
> I am looking into placing banner ads on some selected
> web sites. However, I wanted to know what the site
> stats were in terms of user sessions and views were per
> month before making contact. Is there any way one could
> find out stats on a particular web site before
> contacting the web master? Or is it still something
> private?

In general, this is not possible. However, some sites
let you do a free trial period, especially ones that
are new to the concept of putting up banners for profit
(if you ask them for a trial).

> And how does one verify the information these sites
> give out? I would appreciate any leads.

If they are displaying banners for your site already,

Have them load the banners from your webserver. This
way you will be able to track impressions and partial
impressions, rather than just clickthroughs.

If you can't get adequate verifiable information about
a site's visits per month, you could go for a contract
where the amount you pay depends on how many
clickthroughs or impressions you get.

-Philip Mak (mfraser_at_seas.gwu.edu)