Google

Re: A Top 10 Search Engine Ranking

From: Paul J. Bruemmer <support_at_web-ignite.com>
Date: Mon 22 May 2000 13:21:03 -0700

DAVID STONE <dstone_at_xactware.com> WROTE:
> suggestions beyond the basic meta tag, key word
> suggestions as well as any resources or services you
> have used and found highly successful.

As you may know, David, each search engine and
directory has specific requirements when accepting a
"request to be listed." They're all a little different,
so it's not one-size-fits-all. Some things are best
done by hand, and you may find this is one of them.
As far as the directories are concerned, you must
submit by hand and choose the right category; the
biggest directory of course being Yahoo with about 40%
of the search engine traffic.

I'm not so sure how effective auto-submissions are, but
there are a number of products you can try, including
Selfpromote.com, which is a free service. ClickZ runs
a weekly Search Engine Optimization column (disclosure:
which I write), and if you go to:
http://www.clickz.com/cgi-bin/gt/archives/author.html?author=108
read the first 8 articles beginning with March 29,
"Launching a Search Engine Traffic Campaign," to the
May 17 article, "Getting Listed: Doing it Right."

This will take you through the search engine basics,
including meta tag/keywords (a small part of the
overall strategy), and there is a current list of the
engines and directories that count. There are details
on how to get yourself listed in both search engines
and directories, as well as how to select a search
engine traffic agency, if that's your intention -- the
hard questions to ask to ensure that you'll get the
services you pay for.

You stated that 50% of Internet traffic comes from
search engines. A recent study by IMC Strategies shows
45.8% discover new sites through search engines, with
word of mouth the second best method at 20.3%. See Rick
Bruner's chart showing the top rated methods for
discovering new sites in his ClickZ Article "E-Branding
an Accident Waiting to Happen?" at:
http://www.clickz.com/cgi-bin/gt/cz/cz.html?article=1733

Older studies have shown higher percentages of traffic
from the engines; the latest GUV Study (10th) says the
likelihood of searching with intent to buy is 75
percent. This data may be a little old now, and their
11th survey has been delayed.

Last, but not least: The premier resource for you if
you're going to do it yourself is Danny Sullivan's
searchenginewatch.com.

Good luck promoting your site and building traffic.

Paul J. Bruemmer
CEO Web Ignite Corporation
http://www.web-ignite.com/
805-686-5548