Google

Re: A Top 10 Search Engine Ranking

From: Philip Mak <mfraser_at_SEAS.GWU.EDU>
Date: Tue 23 May 2000 17:22:27 -0400 (EDT)

DAVID STONE <dstone_at_xactware.com> WROTE:
> I have recently been given the assignment of getting
> the webpages for my company, Xactware.com and it
> subsidiary sites such as Xactnet.com, Xactimate.com
> listed in the top 10 of all the major search engines.

If you haven't already (which you might have,
considering the popularity of this software), check out
WebPosition at
http://www.webposition.com/cgi-local/index.pl?DS1=RP&DS2=FDB-55C6

This is a tool for helping optimize pages for search
engines. The company (FirstPlace Software) constantly
monitors the search engine ranking algorithms using
statistical methods (since they change a lot) and
update the database that WebPosition uses. It will help
you pick good keywords, tell you whether it thinks you
have put the keyword in the page too many or too few
times etc., and also suggest where to put the keyword
(in an a href tag, header tag, etc.). It also has the
ability to automatically resubmit your pages to the
search engines, and monitor its ranking. Of all the
search engine optimization software out there, this is
the one that is used the most (I think it has between
50-80% market share; I don't remember the exact
figure).

You may also find their "Secrets to Top 10 Position"
report to be useful. I just looked on their site and it
says it costs $79...that's weird, it used to be free
and I downloaded a copy. I have it on my hard
drive...if anyone wants it let me know and I'll send it
to you. (I can't include it in this message because the
maximum message size for this mailing list is 50k.)

Getting back to picking keywords, here is a URL that is
very useful:
http://inventory.go2.com/inventory/Search_Suggestion.jhtml

There, you can type in any search term and it will give
you a list of similar search terms. It will also tell
you how much that term is used on goto.com. (Multiply
that figure by 10 to get an approximation for all
search engines. That is, since the word 'small
business' is searched 44792 times per month on GoTo, it
is probably searched about 450,000 times on all search
engines combined.)

-Philip Mak (mfraser_at_seas.gwu.edu)