Google

Re: marketing to kids

From: Rob Frankel <rob_at_robfrankel.com>
Date: Thu 25 May 2000 12:44:36 -0700

KATE KAYE <kate_at_lowbrowlowdown.com> WROTE:
> Wow -- I just got off the phone with a rep for
> LeoBurnett's LeoShe division. They deal specifically
> with marketing to women, moms, etc. Anyway, I was
> looking forward to talking to one of their head
> marketers about marketing to kids from the perspective
> of parents in the ad industry. The rep said that "As a
> parent in the ad industry, she [the woman I'd be
> interviewing] would rather not comment." She said
> something about it being such a hot topic nowadays --
> too contraversial.
>
> This seems a bit like a cop out to me. If, as a parent,
> it's that difficult to reconcile marketing to kids, why
> would you do it in the first place?

This is SOOOOOOOO typical of traditional agencies.
"Hey, let's not lead anyone anywhere! let's just stay
in here and hide where it's safe!"

Gone are the days when agencies led the public, rather
than mimicking them.

If you experience has contributed anything to you,
Kate, it's that traditional advertising agencies are
NOT where it's happening. They're pretty much
graveyards for dinosaurs.

Next time, call the young and hungry agencies. Groups
who pride themselves on NOT being listed on the NYSE.

THEY'VE got something to contribute, and more often
than not, see the glass as half full.

My $.02

Rob Frankel, http://www.robfrankel.com
Big Time Branding Guy and Author of "The Revenge of Brand X: How to
Build A Big Time Brand on the Web or Anywhere Else" on sale now at
http://www.revengeofbrandx.com * mailto:rob@robfrankel.com