Google

Re: self-branding

From: Ivan Weltman <ivan_at_tudogs.com>
Date: Thu 1 Jun 2000 02:36:43 +0200

ROB FRANKEL <rob_at_robfrankel.com> WROTE:
> Branding and awareness are not the same thing.
> First you create the brand; then you raise its awareness.

TO WHICH LK <lkuek_at_thenew.net> REPLIED:
> I thought it was the other way around:
>
> 1) Position product (based on strengths and weaknesses)
> 2) Create Brand Awareness (market benefits of product)
> 3) Build Brand Equity

TO WHICH ROB FRANKEL <rob_at_robfrankel.com> RESPONDED:
> You're simply missing step number 1 1/2 there, which
> most people do: you have to know what your brand is
> first, before you raise its awareness.

I feel compelled to get involved here. One doesn't HAVE
to know what the brand is before one generates
awareness. A legitimate tactic is to build awarenes of
an ill-defined brand, find out who is using it and
why, then home in on the customer group, and what is
the customer-defined concept.

The strategy depends on many things, such as market
saturation, competitive positioning, whether the brand
is a low or high ticket item, and not least the
quality and quantity of market information.

Ivan Weltman
http://www.tudogs.com