Google

Re: Traffic from search engines

From: Roxy Flanagan <2Roxy_at_autumnweb.com>
Date: Thu 27 Jul 2000 17:53:00 -0400

PETER KEELING <peter_at_mtm.iol.ie> WROTE:
> Our web traffic is increasing about 25% per month
> ( web site is only 8 months old) but the majority
> (80%)is coming from referral domains and links we
> have created rather than directly from search engines.

That's actually not unusual. I get a lot of traffic
from sites linking to mine (granted, for the free
content sections).

> Since our topic "how to get a test for genital herpes"
> is relevent to 25% of the American population we need
> to find a way of expanding into more generally populated
> search engines.

Have you submitted the site to the major search engines
and directories?

You can try having the words and phrases that someone
would use when searching at a SE in both your meta tags
AND in the copy of your page. If you use words in the
meta tags and they aren't on your actual page, many
SE's will ignore them, some SEs index the content on
the page only (not the meta tags). They need to be in
both places. And the most important word (or few) in
your title -- which you seem to have. That should help
the ranking in the search engines.

Roxy Flanagan
RMF_at_autumnweb.com
Autumn Web ~ http://autumnweb.com ~
Not just putting your business on the Web,
Promoting your business on the Web!