Google

Re: Opt-in email

From: Frank Catalano <frank_at_frankcatalano.com>
Date: Thu 10 Aug 2000 07:03:55 -0700

ANNE KWONG <outraspace_at_hotmail.com> WROTE:
> These days, I think people are very sensitive about
> seeing ads in their mailbox and newsgroup.
>
> Just a few days ago, I came across a mailing list that
> was related to the service that we are providing. I
> emailed that mailing list and introduced them to our
> site and explained how our site can benefit them.

Anne, if you're posting ads on newsgroups, you're
violating a basic rule of netiquette. Newsgroups are
about discussion. The way to market to newsgroups is
very low-key, informational marketing. Become a
participant in the group. Answer questions in your
company's area of expertise. Let your sig file carry
the (subtle) marketing weight, or refer to your company
in a neutral tone while answering a question if it's
germane.

Marketing in newsgroups is no different than marketing
in e-mail lists like this one. You don't do blatant
sales pitches because newsgroups and e-mail lists are
about discussion. Pitches stop discussion.

It's not a matter of sensitivity. It's a matter of
appropriateness. You don't want to be seen as doing
hit-and-run participation.

Frank Catalano, Principal
Catalano Consulting
Co-author, Marketing Online for Dummies