Google

Re: Targeting press releases

From: Amelia Kassel <amelia_at_marketingbase.com>
Date: Wed 04 Oct 2000 22:00:31 -0500

Laura Roman WROTE:

> My company is starting a marketing campaign Oct. 1st
> and we are going to invest a little money in press
> releases. Most of the companies distribute them
> internationally which is a waste to us when we only
> target Southern California.

PRNewswire, one of the major electronic distribution
services for press releases, allows you to select by
region. I assume competing services also do.

I used DigitalWork.com (which I believe is related to
PRNewswire) for a press release and selected for
California only. There are many options, both by
region and media type.

> Also I'd like some feedback on how press releases have
> worked for other companies that aren't necessarily
> Fortune 500 but may have something news worthy to
> share.

Getting releases picked up is a major challenge that
involves building relationships and a PR program with
regular and ongoing newsworthy releases geared to the
right people in the right media. I have to wonder
whether it's best to let PR professionals to that work
since that's what they are expert in doing.

Amelia Kassel, mailto:amelia_at_marketingbase.com
Competitive Intelligence, Internet, & Market Research
Internet Research Seminars (email & onsite)
Email-based Corporate & IB Mentor Program Training
707 829-9421 or 800 544-5924, http://www.marketingbase.com
Columnist: Searcher Magazine, http://www.infotoday.com/searcher/default.htm
Author: SUPER SEARCHERS ON WALL STREET; http://www.supersearchers.com