Google

Search Box Program Comparison

From: Philip Mak <mfraser_at_SEAS.GWU.EDU>
Date: Mon 09 Oct 2000 11:19:54 -0500

Hello all,

I am wondering if there is anyone here who uses Search
Box affiliate programs. I am comparing AdSearches.com
with SearchTraffic.com. I would like to exchange
observations about these programs with other webmasters
who are using them.

AdSearches.com was very good in July; they paid 7.5
cents per search (special promotion), and then average
of 5-6 cents per search after that. But on September
25, they added a new thing called a "Multix", which
ranges between 0.5 and 1.5 and is multiplied to the
earnings. The Multix depends on the quality of traffic
(e.g. visitors searching for "web hosting" are more
valuable than ones searching for "Britney Spears
pics").

The way I use AdSearches.com on my site is that I have
a box which says "Click Search for more information
about the topic on this page" (example:
http://www.animewallpapers.com/wallpapers/ccs.htm).
Unfortunately, these are more specific terms that cause
lower Multix, so in the last week of September I only
made 60% as much as normal.

I tried SearchTraffic.com some; they pay 5 cents per
click (roughly equivalent to Multix 1.0 on
AdSearches.com). They seem to track less clicks though;
they are showing an average of 100 clicks per day,
while I got 130 at AdSearches.com. I haven't verified
this rigorously. (AdSearches.com tracks the number of
impressions sent; SearchTraffic.com doesn't so I can't
compare CTRs easily.)

The quality of the search results is another factor
though. AdSearches.com used to send searches to
AllTheWeb.com, which was fairly good. But now they are
using TheSearchster.com which does not show ANY website
results at all. Example (search term "card captor"):

--- begin example ---
For information on almost anything including
card-captor Cosmiverse is geared toward serious space
and science afficionados CLICK HERE!

Before you look for card-captor, try to win $1,000,000
for FREE ContestJunction.com is giving away cool prizes
everyday and a chance at $1,000,000 every month! CLICK
HERE!
--- end example ---

This concerns me, since it means my site visitor does
not get any useful information by clicking on the
Search button. In fact, it is kind of like using
AllClicks.com (they pay for blind links) and might
decrease visitor loyalty.

SearchTraffic.com on the other hand sends searches to
GoTo.com which gives fairly good search results in my
case.

Does anyone else have experiences with search box
programs that they would like to share?

Regards,

-Philip Mak (mfraser_at_seas.gwu.edu)