Google

Re: New ad server system

From: Michael Martinez <Michael_at_xenite.org>
Date: Mon 09 Oct 2000 11:22:24 -0500

ZAK POWER <zak_at_hackers-for-hire.com> WROTE:
> I'd be interested to hear about any technical issues
> which have affected ad serving software in the past, as
> well as any functionality wish-lists, to make our
> system the best around. Perhaps if you can present us
> with a technical issue we can solve it to our mutal
> benefit.

The one thing that most causes me grief in remote
banner systems is the timeout factor. If the server
won't timeout quickly, my pages won't load. I don't
care how much money the other guy loses, *I* lose
traffic when the page just sits there trying to load
an ad from a server that won't or can't comply.

Is it a problem with the Internet? I don't think so.
I'm running code from 3 or 4 services right now, and
only 1 of them consistently drags down my pages'
performance. I'm sure it's a server-side issue. I did
have ads from another service for about a month that
had similar problems. I've heard similar complaints
from other people about both services (which I see no
point in naming).

Science Fiction and Fantasy info_at_xenite.org
New and expanded discussion forums! Over 20 topics!
http://www.xenite.org/forums/
XENITE.org