Google

Re: who do you trust? - a mea culpa on the issue

From: Chip Canty <ccanty_at_bellatlantic.net>
Date: Mon 09 Oct 2000 11:43:37 -0500

I owe Engage/Flycast -- and this list -- a BIG apology.

Recently I was surprised that almost no one responded
to posts alleging inaccurate traffic reporting from
Linkshare and DoubleClick DART. This is a hot-button
issue with us, as we too have long doubted the fairness
and accuracy of some reports we receive as a publisher.

To spark more discussion on this sensitive issue, I
started a new thread called "who do you trust?" and
volunteered an example of my own. Specifically, I
cited a recent case where Flycast and AdFlight seemed
to be counting the same impressions, but Flycast's
count fell way short.

Problem is, the mistake was ours, not Flycast's. A
further review of the data absolves Flycast entirely
and suggests that we instead got tripped up by a recent
reporting-procedure change -- and by my own rush to use
a too-fresh example to support our suspicions. (For
the gory details, please e-mail me privately.)

Trust me, EATING CROW IS NO FUN. But we demand
accuracy from those we do business with, and they (and
you) are entitled to demand it from us in return.

Chip Canty ccanty_at_waypages.com
WAYPAGES PRODUCTIONS www.waypages.com
75 Bailey Street 617-964-9866
Boston, MA 02124 fax 617-964-9989