Google

Re: serving on behavioral data

From: Sebastiaan Moesman <S.Moesman_at_AdValue.NL>
Date: Mon 16 Oct 2000 14:28:29 -0500

SHAWN ERDIL <cerdil_at_hurriyet.com.tr> WROTE:
> Is there an adserving software (that can target on
> site behavioral data?), that could be used to setup an
> adnetwork, other than the add-ons of engage etc.
> something that is reasonably priced. can you help?

TO WHICH TOM G LANMAN <Tonyflea_at_aol.com> REPLIED:
> I am impressed with the term 'Behavioral Targeting.'
> Sounds good. Sounds complicated and, more to the
> point, limiting prospective buyers. Someone that had
> no interest in a certain product or service before may
> now have a great interest. Being a new fan of
> whatever this consumer suddenly likes may very well
> eliminate you from catching the folks that will spend
> the most money for one ship. Ex: I decide to start
> skiing at forty, however you do not have that
i> nformation because I have never been targeted. I buy
> the whole works for a bunch of money and if I am
> happy, I come back.

Some quick notes on behavioral targeting with
ad servers:

1) Complication and "limiting prospective buyers".

When you're serving millions of ads a day to a certain
audience on the net, you'll find that you start
recognising people as they frequently visit one of the
sites you place ads on. So, when you start skiing at
forty, you start visiting sites and (sometimes) looking
for information regarding ski resorts, ski holidays,
equipment etc. This "change" in behavior is also
registered and can be taken into account when serving
ads. So the complication is not one of limiting
prospects, but one of being able to interpret someone's
behavior online and transforming it into a useful and
correct profile. Using this technique however costs a
lot of money, effort and expertise as you might guess
and my question is always whether the higher (CPM)
rates will ever be matched by increased conversion on
your site....

2) Technical issues.

As far as I know, Engage uses its profile server to
serve ads based on behavior. The only way to buy into
this is to join www.audiencenet.com I think. We used to
(still have it) work with a licensed engage profile and
ad server but I don't think they still sell those
products seperately. Doubleclick I heard uses
Netperceptions to serve targeted ads and deliver
approximately the same service. We at AdValue developed
a similar system but it only works for the buying side
of the market. Not for rep firms or 3rd pary adserver
companies. Whatever you do, don't believe any
brochures: test the stuff before you decide. There are
a lot of hoaxes about this out there.

Good luck,
Sebastiaan Moesman

AdValue Europe
E s.moesman_at_advalue.net
W http://www.advalue.net
AdValue offers a number of services:
strategic online media consulting, planning and buying,
campaign analysis and campaign evaluation of all forms
of online advertising.