Google

Is it spam if it's targeted?

From: Mark Peper <mark_at_hirerocket.com>
Date: Fri 20 Oct 2000 11:19:06 -0500

We did an email campaign to a very targeted group. Our
response was great. 13% of the group came back to our
site and over 5% did exactly what we wanted them to do.

I know there is a lot of controversy about spamming.
My question is: Would this be considered spamming?

About 1/100 of 1% (.001%) requested to be taken off the
list. Our ISP provider sent us a message that spamming
is not part of there policy and if we do it again we
run the risk of being shut down.

On a sales/marketing side I have a hard time believing
this is bad.

It is a very cost effective way for us to do business.
And it works.

Do all ISP providers consider this to be spamming or
are there any that would work with us?

I know technical and sales/marketing staffs have very
different views whether or not this is good business
practice or not.