Google

Re: Is it spam if it's targeted?

From: Jim Reardon <jim_at_amusive.com>
Date: Wed 25 Oct 2000 07:11:58 -0500

MARK PEPER <mark_at_hirerocket.com> WROTE:
> About 1/100 of 1% (.001%) requested to be taken off the
> list. Our ISP provider sent us a message that spamming
> is not part of there policy and if we do it again we
> run the risk of being shut down.
>
> On a sales/marketing side I have a hard time believing
> this is bad.

Of course not, because spammers typically don't think
about anyone besides themselves; they're rude and
ignorant of the costs involved.

It is inherently wrong to shift the cost of your
marketing messages onto those that receive the
message. I pay for bandwidth to and from my server;
if you send me a unsolicited message -- targeted or not
-- email I DID NOT REQUEST to receive, you have wasted
my money (and, furthermore, my time).

That is wrong.

> Do all ISP providers consider this to be spamming or
> are there any that would work with us?

Any ISPs that will work with you will, more likely or
not, be blacklisted in ORBS and/or the RBL. This
means 40% of your traffic will disappear into a black
hole, and you won't be able to send mail to around 30%
of the internet -- including Yahoo Mail, Hotmail, and
many, many others that subscribe to these lists.

Jim Reardon <jim_at_amusive.com> 815-744-3119
what do you want for free? http://www.freecenter.com/
free forums, polls, and more! http://www.sitegadgets.com/?sig