Re: News Story Pitching - Call & Blab?

From: Eve Gumpel <>
Date: Thu 26 Oct 2000 14:16:17 -0500

> Do any PR, Marcom & Marketing experts out there have
> any tales & advice on what truly works when pitching
> a story? How about sending a pitch email 1st, then
> calling? Or, is calling not effective, since it takes
> forever to reach the journalist, & they never listen
> unless you're a close contact?

> Often when you find the editorial team for a magazine
> on their website, there is just a list of names so you
> have an important decision to make. Who do you mail?
> Should it be the editor? The editor-in-chief? Or hope
> that the journalist you pick at random is receptive to
> unsolicited email

In my experience as a PR professional, your best bet is
to go directly to the reporter who writes about your
industry. If the right individual isn't obvious, call
the magazine and ask who covers your topic -- and find
out whether he or she prefers to be contacted by email,
fax, phone or snail mail.

If, on the other hand, your target is a trade
publication, I would start with the editor, who is
usually willing to spend a few minutes chatting with

You might want to invest in a media database, as well.
A couple of the more popular ones are Bacon's and

You can find more tips on media relations at, a free, informational Web site
with real-world PR tips.

Keith, you are welcome to contact me off-line if you
have further questions.

Eve Gumpel
Hilary Kaye Associates
(714) 426-0444