Google

Re: Intellectual Property Rights

From: Martyn Emery <martyn_emery_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri 27 Oct 2000 12:03:46 -0500

MARTYN EMERY <martyn_emery_at_hotmail.com> WROTE:
> A recent attempt to move their website to a new ISP
> and designer team has been temporarily blocked. The
> proviso being that the original ISP claimed IPR on the
> website code and the incremental changes that have
> been implemented at the client's request

TO WHICH STEPHANIE TUGGLE <stephanie_tuggle_at_yahoo.com> REPLIED:
> The answer is fairly clear;
>
> Did your client pay for their services? If so, your
> client owns the code.

Thanks for the comments..

Whilst the UK client did pay for the original code, one
of the factors I have recently unearthed, which went
against the client was that they signed an initial
contract that specifically had a clause about
Intellectual Property Rights.

One of the dangers of this scenario is; should the ISP
go into liquidation, then any receiver could sell our
IPR to the highest bidder. In practice during
liquidation the ISP normally keeps the IPR in a dark
cupboard, then reclaims it once they have started
their new e-business off.

Kind regards

Martyn Emery
Chief Operations Officer