Google

Re: Latin America/Spanish Search Engines

From: Michael Martinez <Michael_at_xenite.org>
Date: Fri 27 Oct 2000 12:32:18 -0500

OMAR FERNANDEZ <OFernandez_at_quest-usa.com> WROTE:
> Does anyone have experience with searh engine placement
> in Latin American/Spanish Search Engines? Do they index
> the same way as the ones here in the States? I know
> most Latin Americans use Yahoo and AltaVista, but there
> are several LatAm portals and region specific Search
> Engines.

Some of the engines are using Inktomi. The standard
Inktomi rules seem to apply, although I've only done
limited placement with Spanish-language engines.

Generally speaking, you want to emphasize your targeted
keywords in the title and keywords meta tags, your
header tags, and 2 or 3 times in the body text. You
also want to repeat the keywords on all your Web pages
to establish a "theme".

External links to your sites are important, too.
Inktomi drops pages every 4-6 weeks if they don't
measure up to certain criteria, and inbound links from
other sites are one of the most important criteria.
The rule of thumb seems to be if you can get 3 or 4
pages already in the index to link to your site,
Inktomi will probably keep your site in the index. It
helps to create a reciprocal links page for all the
sites that link to your site.

Internal links are also important. Make sure visitors
to your site can move around your pages through
visible text links. I use a site map that most of my
major pages now link to.

It took me about 4 months to get my pages to rank well
and to stick in the index. That said, Inktomi doesn't
send me much traffic, so it seems my efforts would
have been better placed elsewhere. That's not to say
people aren't using Inktomi engines. Rather, they
just don't use them to find content like my own as
much as they use other services.

The one problem with search engine optimization that no
one (to my knowledge) has yet resolved is determining
which engines and directories best serve which
content.

Science Fiction and Fantasy info_at_xenite.org
Now published: Visualizing Middle-earth. Order it now!
http://www.xlibris.com/VisualizingMiddleearth.html
XENITE.org