Google

Re: Tracking E-mail marketing

From: Sam Stark <Sam_Stark_at_BMCMedia.com>
Date: Tue 31 Oct 2000 15:57:12 -0500

BRENDAN KING <bking_at_point2.com> WROTE:
> We periodically e-mail to
> this group but have not tracked the results or marketed
> our list to advertisers. Does anyone know of any
> software that does a good job of tracking e-mailings
> that reports when the mail was opened and by whom? My
> tech team tells me it is a simple task...

There are certainly some limitations to tracking email
however there is more you can do than has been covered
so far.

Firstly I'd suggest outsourcing your mail delivery, and
no, this doesn't have to cost the earth. We at BMC
offer a full ASP solution (ie: no software or setup
required) with no setup costs are purely a per message
sent basis. We focus on the Asia pacific market, but
there are a few who do this well in the states
(radical mail is one). You should not be paying more
than US$0.15 per mail (often a lot less) this should
include full personalisation, complete tracking,
reporting and extensive individual user profiling (and
segmentation as a result).

The tracking capabilities are limited when it comes to
text mails, however the percentage of html enabled
clients is growing every day. Your outsourcer should
also be able to send to AOL and other "different" mail
clients without the message turning to useless code.

An interesting point to note with regards to tracking
(html mails) is that in contrast to a web site - there
is NO caching, hence tracking (opened, links clicked,
forwarded etc) can be very accuratly reported.

It's all possible.. and not too expensive if you find
the right outsourcer to help.

Cheers..

Sam Stark
Project Manager