Google

Re: Google Success Story

From: Harley Ungar <harley_at_vindigo.com>
Date: Tue 16 Jan 2001 14:55:10 -0500

LOREN BAKER <loren_at_webadvantage.net> WROTE:
> After running a Google AdWords campaign for a week,
> we've seen excellent results. We are receiving an
> overall 9% CTR for our client's generic search terms
> and competitor's names. Additionally, using post click
> behavior tracking, we have determined that keyword
> search advertising does not only bring excellent click
> thru rates, but also excellent return on investment.

I was really interested in the results from the Google
campaign your client ran, as I've had a very different
experience. We've bought keyword sponsorships for a
couple of terms. This is different then the AdWords
program -- Sponsored results show up at the top of the
list, in a light pink highlighted area that says
"Sponsorship". Although our clickthrough rates (from
0.3% to 1.1%) have been higher than banner
clickthroughs, I find these results really
disappointing. My guess is that it's a lot lower than
clickthroughs for "regular" search engine results.
(Does anyone out there know?) My hypothesis is that
because it's separated out as a sponsored link, people
consciously overlook it and move on to the rest of the
list. Any thoughts on that?

Harley Ungar
Marketing Manager, Vindigo
harley_at_vindigo.com