Google

Re: Google Success Story

From: Wolter Tjeenk Willink <WolterW_at_ISDC.NL>
Date: Wed 24 Jan 2001 18:38:00 -0500

HARLEY UNGAR <harley_at_vindigo.com> WROTE:
> I was really interested in the results from the Google
> campaign your client ran, as I've had a very different
> experience. We've bought keyword sponsorships for a
> couple of terms. This is different then the AdWords
> program -- Sponsored results show up at the top of the
> list, in a light pink highlighted area that says
> "Sponsorship". Although our clickthrough rates (from
> 0.3% to 1.1%) have been higher than banner
> clickthroughs, I find these results really
> disappointing.

sponsorship I'm not really surprised by the fact that
your CTR was a bit disappointing, especially compared
to the results Loren Baker had with her Google Adwords
campaign. Sponsored links are often skipped by
search engine visitors because "if the have such good
information, they wouldn't need a sponsorship to get a
high ranking (because that's what it is in fact) on a
search engine". I think a lot of people share my
opinion on this. In my opinion, your marketing budget
is much better spend on in-company web promotion, such
a web site optimization and search engine positioning.
Allthough the results of such and effort depend on the
(number of) keywords you wish to get a higher ranking
on, and therefore the type of business your in, it's a
much better way to promote your business online than
keyword bidding. My clients have also found targeted
banner advertising very effective. The idea is
basically the same: bid on a certain group of keywords,
and let the Internet portal display your banner when a
visitors enters one of those keywords in a search
engine query.

Best wishes,

Wolter Tjeenk Willink
Tjeenk Willink Consultancy