Google

Tracking Users -- From Point of Entry to Ordering

From: Jake Klamka <majon_at_majon.com>
Date: Tue 27 Mar 2001 13:35:36 -0600

Hello,

    I'm hoping someone can suggest a way to do
the following:

    Most website traffic tracking software allows
me to keep track of the number of visitors coming
in from a specific marketing source. However,
when I receive orders I have no way of knowing
from which marketing source the particular order
originated. What I need is a way to add a special
code to the URL that represents a certain form of
marketing and then having that code passed through
all the movements of the client on my website, all
the way to the order form and then have that code
included in the order information that is submitted
to me (I use "formmail" to submit the form contents
to my email address -- I assume this would have to
be passed through as a hidden field). This way I
will not only know how many visitors came into my
site as a result of marketing effort A, but also how
many orders I received from the visitors coming in
specifically from marketing effort A.

    Is there any such software out there? A CGI script
that does this?

    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

    Jake Klamka