More reaction to the new ad sizes

From: Michael Martinez <>
Date: Mon 07 May 2001 13:29:37 -0500

I only just noticed that the VNBoards I mentioned a
week or two ago have a "Board Issues" forum. The chief
Webmaster started a thread there about the new ad sizes
and placement. So far there have been over 200

A lot of the people are recommending the use of a
product from and I suspect the
new intrusive ad sizes are going to be less successful
in communities which are aware of tools like this.

Not all the responses in the thread are negative. Some
of the people say they'd rather put up with ads than have
to pay for content. But I didn't see much indication
that people were clicking on the ads. And these are
highly targeted ads, very relevant to the discussion
communities' topics.

Since other people on this list are reporting great
response rates to the ads, I would say this is still in
the "Your mileage may vary" stage.

Michael Martinez
 Science Fiction and Fantasy
  Visualizing Middle-earth, a book for all Tolkien fans