Google

Pop Ups and Exit Traffic (was The advertising industry brought the banner ad) down.

From: Rob Frankel <rob_at_robfrankel.com>
Date: Mon 14 May 2001 13:22:02 -0500

DENISE TURNEY <RCampb3422_at_aol.com> WROTE:

>I've hard that pop-up windows are effective at getting
>click-throughs. I'm not convinced of this though, because
>whenever I see a pop-up window, I usually leave a site
>or close the pop-up window (I close the window so fast,
>I think only my subsconscious is aware of what was on the
>ad).

>Do any of you have success with pop-up ads or have you
>heard of businesses that have had success with pop-up
>ads? The only way I could see them being effective
>would be if they popped-up as a visitor was leaving a
>site.

>What do you think?

Okay, maybe it's just coincidence, but here's what happened
to me:

On my main site, I added an EXIT window that pops up only
one time, when you actually leave the home page. I wanted
to make sure that people didn't have to dig through the
whole site and miss anything I've got to sell.

On the site for my book and tapes, I added an INTRO window
that tells the user about the product updates (i.e.,
latest universities and colleges that use it, etc.).

I made the windows small. Kept the tone friendly and
informal. And sales did indeed go up.

My conclusion: if you deploy pop-ups judiciously and
make them less intrusive than they can be, they really
can work. I also recommend using no more than one
pop up per web visit. make up your mind when
and where you want it to pop and leave it at that.

Rob Frankel, "Yes, I really do turn users into
 evangelists for your brand."
Big Time Branding (TM) http://www.RobFrankel.com
FrankelTips Weekly at: http://www.FrankelTips.com
The Book/Tapes: http://www.RevengeOfBrandX.com