Google

Re: Search engine ROI

From: Michael Martinez <Michael_at_xenite.org>
Date: Mon 14 May 2001 14:33:02 -0500

MICHELLE PELLETIER <michelle.pelletier_at_pikatech.com> WROTE:

>I would like to some feedback on search engine
>optimization ROI. We've commited to a six month contract
>for search engine optimization. We have not seen more
>than 1% ROI in Web site traffic increase and I'm not
>able to tell whether or not they are more qualified by
>other visitors pushed to our site via search engines.
>First, I found it extremely difficult to find a company
>that would provide a good guarantee for your significant
>investment bin their services. And now, the results are
>not that significant.

There are three reasons for why an optimization campaign
doesn't produce significant results. Given no more
details than you provided, I cannot list them in most
probable order.

1) You were already at the top of your targeted searches
and there just wasn't much room for growth.

2) There simply isn't that much traffic for the searches
you have targeted.

3) You got a bum deal.

4) You don't have enough data to have put together a
focused campaign.

>What would be a good ROI for click throughs from search
>engine optimization?

It varies, depending on popularity of targeted searches,
popularity of the kind of content, services, or products
you offer, and competition your site faces.

>Am I looking at the wrong information for ROI?
>Should I be spending my marketing dollars on something
>else?

If you're going to invest in search engine placement and
optimization, you need to understand the market you're
addressing and what expectations are reasonable. The
Internet is NOT an endless gold mine that everyone can tap
into. It offers more opportunity for some than others.
And any opportunities it DOES offer don't go unexploited
for long.

Marketing depends on research and analysis with the Internet
as much as with other types of media. If you cannot provide
the right focus, only luck will produce the kind of results
you're seeking. I think that's true for any marketing/
advertising project regardless of where it occurs.

Hope that helps.

Michael Martinez
 Science Fiction and Fantasy info_at_xenite.org
  Visualizing Middle-earth, a book for all Tolkien fans
   http://www.xenite.org/