Google

RE: Will They Pay? Part II

From: Amrit Hallan <amrit_h_at_vsnl.com>
Date: Tue 29 May 2001 11:04:51 -0500

JOHN GASKILL <gm_at_info-central-usa.com> WROTE:

>There seems to be a desire on the part of some list
>contributors to convince the rest of the list that so
>many people who surf the internet are unwilling to pay
>for content that a web site operator may not charge
>for content and be profitable.

I guess people here are getting confused between
"general" content and "utility" content.

Most of the content on the Internet is general content
- it does not contribute to my personal growth and
within a few searches, I can locate it, maybe verbatim,
from another site.

Utility content is that helps me, perhaps earn my
livelihood, gives me critically valuable information
before anybody else does, or improve my life, or
supplies me with so much mental stimulation that I
can't help but purchase it at the earliest opportunity.
Such is the content that is absent on the Internet.

Most of the present content is nonsensical and a
hogwash, written by incompetent, or occasionally
competent persons. That's why the general user doesn't
take it seriously. But it doesn't mean a general surfer
is not ready to pay for content. If it is worth paying
for, there is no problem, and on top of that, if it is
easier to pay (which is not, at the moment), more people
would pay for content that deserves payment.

Amrit Hallan