Google

Re: Venting

From: Brandi Jasmine <bj_at_brandijasmine.com>
Date: Tue 03 Jul 2001 11:01:39 -0500

DARLENE CIMINO <dar_at_webadvantage.net> WROTE:

>As a media
>buyer I look at small sites, large sites, search
>engines, anything it takes to get what is best for my
>customer.

You may be one in 1,000 - if that. I have not even
been approached for a rate sheet the past 6 months.
With traffic like mine, in a good demographic, you
would think that there would be some interest. When I
do talk to media buyers it's "Come back when you have
ten times that traffic" - even though they may only be
interested in a few hundred CPM!

>I have many campaigns that are running on small
>sites that are doing very well, and they are doing well
>because they are very targeted campaigns. On the
>other hand running a campaign on Yahoo is well worth it,
>because I see great results.

The problem on the small end is we don't even get the
chance - and THEN we get asked "Gee - can I do a free
test?" - would you ask that of a print magazine? Even
an unestablished one? Over what might amount to a few
hundred dollars? I have been tempted to give some of
these people advice about travel, sex and farm animals
in 4 words or less.

>The most important thing is customer satisfaction, and
>if something doesn't work you find something else.

Indeed. That's why I've pulled all third-party advertising
from my site and will not bother selling it until or
unless I get at least a moderately respectful offer for
it. I have given up on the aggregators and the
click-throughs and even most of the affiliate programs.
They are all a monumental waste of time. I'd like to see
a lot more of the others on the small end do the same.
Maybe it's about time we started drying up the market
for advertising, and stopped bending over to be
exploited by aggregators.

Vent #2: I'd like to see the aggregators justify what
they are paying. Say - you're a media buyer - you
ever use one of these services? I'd truly love to know
what they are actually charging. Any numbers on that?

---

Brandi Jasmine - Writer, Photographer, Illustrator
www.brandijasmine.com - www.astrology.ca - www.twostar.com