Google

Re: 100,000 eyeballs

From: John Gaskill <jg_at_info-central-usa.com>
Date: Fri 06 Jul 2001 09:15:18 -0500

TRAVIS HIGDON <travis_at_nFusion.com> WROTE:

Re: The value of 100,000 eyeballs at Astrology.ca
vs Yahoo.com to an advertiser.

>Is it possible that the 100,000 eyeballs on a Yahoo
>search site are more valuable to an advertiser because
>the users are searching for information, as opposed to

>going directly to a niche site to grab the info they
>know they'll find there?

Unless the search engine is using keyword targeting
to display the advertiser's banner to only those people
likely to have an interest in what they offer, the
audience using Yahoo is going to be very generic and
probably pretty homogenized.

The value to an advertiser is that if they know the
likes of their existing customer base and those likes
mesh with the niche served by a web site, the advertiser
is likely to get a higher response using a medium with
an audience rich in prospects as opposed to one where
prospects appear with the same frequency that they do
in the general population.

>ie. on a Yahoo search users have not yet found what
>they're looking for and are open to whatever solution
>presents itself, vs. a niche site, where users have
>already found their interest and are going to the site
>for that purpose, not fishing for new sources of
>information.

I can only judge other web searchers behavior
in comparison to my own, and what I hear from
participants in this list, but when using a search
engine, I tend to stay focused on the search
results being delivered or correctly spelling the
terms I am searching, not the banners or buttons
promoting merchandise, services or web sites
(although I did notice a banner yesterday for
custom imprinted golf balls, even though I do
not play golf -- the straightforward design and
offer caught my attention).

But that's only my opinion and I'm sure there are
others.

Regards,

John Gaskill
jg_at_info-central-usa.com
Web Publishers !! Want paying advertisers?
http://Info-Central-USA.com/site-ads.htm