Google

Re: CPA vs. CPM the issue?

From: Ivan Weltman <ivan_at_tudogs.com>
Date: Mon 09 Jul 2001 12:09:31 -0500

JANET ATTARD <attard_at_businessknowhow.com> WROTE:

>The main issue, IMHO, is
>the CPM if partly a branding type of ad, and businesses
>want the branding, but don't want to pay for it.

TO WHICH PHIL TANNY <info_at_subscription-service.com> REPLIED:

>I can't speak for all of course, but in my case
>branding is of almost no value to my business. Thus
>I have no interest in purchasing branding. (I can hear Rob
>Frankel typing as I say this.... Hi Rob! ;-)

TO WHICH ROB FRANKEL <rob_at_robfrankel.com> REPLIED:

> Yeah, but the only clicking you hear is my defining
> branding again....Banners don't brand anything. They
> may help raise awareness for a brand, but that's
> advertising, not branding.

Not true. Herewith some facts:
1. 70 years of research show a direct relation between
awareness and sales.
2. If one is aware of an entity one must have an attitude
towards it. There are three elements of attitude:
Cognitive (rational belief), affective (emotional feeling),
and conative (action tendency). A psychological
phenomenon known as homeostasis keeps the three in balance.
So, if a banner simply makes people feel good about a
brand, the rational belief and action tendency (buy!)
towards the brand will improve. That's branding, and
today the humble banner is probably the lowest cost
branding tool available.

Ivan Weltman
http://www.tudogs.com