Google

RE: Affiliates-ass-milliates

From: Adam Lasnik <alasnik_at_smilezone.com>
Date: Mon 03 Sep 2001 17:04:11 -0500

ADAM LASNIK <alasnik_at_smilezone.com> WROTE:

>Yes, those significant checks from affiliate programs I
>receive monthly are simply evil! They corrupt me, cause
>me to do terrible things like post sarcastic notes to
>lists, ...

TO WHICH BRANDI JASMINE <brandi_at_brandijasmine.com> REPLIED:

>And expose you to equally sarcastic and cynical responses
>like: "Oh yeah? - PLEASE tell us which of them are
>making money for you - not the ones you have ownership
>in or that cost money up front to join."

Okay, I'll put my mouth where my money is or something
like that :)

THE MONEY
- Most profitable: singles/dating sites (kiss.com in
particular)
- Next most profitable: credit card signups (nextcard
still does well)
- Previously wildly profitable but now mostly a dud: any
'freebies' (for example, I used to make thousands a month
from free socialnet memberships,'til they got bought out)

...AND SOMETIMES FOR ALMOST NO EFFORT!
- Ranging from 0 to 5 hours per week lately (I took off
on a month-long vacation and didn't send one non-personal
e-mail); very little drop in revenues!

...BUT OVERALL EFFORT IT TAKES A TON OF TIME (and grunt
work!)
- Over time, I have to somehow personally (and efficiently)
manage pay-per-click bids, site content, and even customer
service e-mail (including from folks who e-mail AND CALL
ME when their amazon.com purchase isn't what they hoped
for, etc.)

Is it worth it? It depends. I haven't clocked my hours
exactly, but let's say that if I average my hours over the
 last year, I'm not making super-duper amounts per hour.
Then again, though, I'm currently living off my affiliate
income, enjoying flexibility, and in the meantime
supporting a Web site that's fun and meaningful for me
and others.

> I haven't made enough money from any affiliate program
> that would even come close to making the effort
> worthwhile.

If you increase your traffic and/or what programs you market
and/or how you market them, I can pretty much assure you
that you'd make some decent cash.

Then again, I admit that's not very specifically helpful
advice :|

Regards,
Adam
adam_at_smilezone.com