Google

Re: Affiliates-ass-milliates

From: Randall Evenson <randall_at_4-dmarketing.com>
Date: Mon 24 Sep 2001 11:55:28 -0500

BRANDI JASMINE <bj_at_brandijasmine.com>WROTE:

>Oh puhlease. I don't know a single person who is not and
>has not been involved on the affiliate side who has made
>much more than coffee money from these things. And one
>usually implements them as instructed by the affiliate
>program - so whose fault is it if they are badly implemented?

> I would be delighted to make a partnership with an affiliate
> program that would be willing and interested in forming a
> lasting partnership. I have 200,000 page-views and a highly
> desirable target audience of mostly female 30-40-somethings.
> I have YET to encounter a proposal that would remotely meet
> my idea of what my traffic is worth.

Well, Brandi, you're probably not going to like my reply
and you and others may find it very unsympathetic. So be
warned.

First off, based upon your comments, you appear to still
be laboring under various faulty business concepts. It's
also very surprising that such business views are still
held in high-esteem, given that this and other serious
marketing lists have exposed their erroneous ways,
literally hundreds of times.

How faulty these views were, has been well documented in
the vast dot.com failures (all those crazy IPO deals
based upon ridiculous business premises and which were
promoted unscrupulously).

The biggest mistake your comments reveal, is the belief
that the actual quantity of page views is important, when
in fact it's virtually irrelevant. Instead, the details
about the quality of your audience, is far more crucial.
If the basic stats you've presented above, are the essence
of your knowledge about your sites' audience, then no
wonder you've never made more than coffee money from your
affiliate partnerships.

How much traffic you get is meaningless compared to what
are your audience's actual buying habits (if you're analyzing
affiliate deals and their performance).

To put it another way, I'd love to get only 1,000 known
buyers of my type of goods/services visiting my site, then
100,000 visitors to my site, who don't have any history of
buying my goods/services. The odds are that the 1,000 known
buyers will be far more valuable than the larger group. When
you understand why that is so, then you'll have taken the
first major step on how to make an affiliate program work.

Please realize I'm not an affiliate program vendor. Rather,
I run a small online business and I've used select affiliate
programs successfully during the past 3 years. I also have
two e-zines (each less than 9 months old). One is for helping
to grow small business and has just over 15,000 subscribers.
The other is a consumer health e-zine with over 140,000
subscribers. Because of the right affiliate partnerships,
both of these sites and respective e-zines, they each produce
nice monthly affiliate incomes.

ADAM LASNIK <alasnik_at_smilezone.com> WROTE:

>1) How many UNIQUE visitors do you get?
>2) How the heck should the company know how well their
>products will sell on your site? They're YOUR visitors!
>It depends where you place the banner or text copy, whether
>you personally endorse the product or services in your
>e-newsletter, the income and interests of your visitors,
>and so on. The burden (sorry) is on you to see what
>works.

Along this line, your "idea" about what your traffic is
worth, is also irrelevant. If you can't prove what your
traffic is actually worth, then everything else is pure
conjecture. Why should I just take "your idea" as a valid
value, when it's really just a biased guess from you? The
answer is that I and any savvy businessperson wouldn't.

Until you can show a proven track record, particularly for
buying similar products/services as to what the advertiser
offers, then your page views are simply nice little
statistics with no real meaning or value to anyone who's a
savvy advertiser or affiliate partner.

Third, running the marketing for any business (regardless
if it's online or offline) is actually managing the right
numbers. I'm referring to your marketing numbers. It's NOT
about making sure you use the most creative ad, most
advanced technological process, most clever idea, having
the "best looking" or functioning site, best content, great
"demographics" or having high traffic levels.

Rather, the most important aspect in running any successful
marketing program is evaluating what each campaign/ad
actually produces in sales, cash flow and profit numbers for
you. I'm not talking the typical accounting aspects of your
overall business, but rather the "economics" of each
marketing campaign. Analyzing, and modifying your campaigns
accordingly, to improve these economics, is the key. It isn't the
glamorous part of running a marketing campaign, but it's the
most important aspect if you want to really create and
continue running a successful online or offline business.

Lastly, I agree that affiliate programs are not some kind
of magic potion that will work for every online venture. And
many affiliate programs are poorly constructed and operated.
However, throwing out the baby with the bath water is a silly
over-reaction. Instead, you should learn the critical buying
habits about your sites visitors and customers, in order to
select the optimum affiliate programs for your visitors and
customers.

Randall Evenson
President & Owner: www.4-dmarketing.com
Free mini-course: "Warning! These Lethal Mistakes Will Wipe
Out Your Business!"
==> http://www.4-dmarketing.com/4d-bulletin.shtml