Google

Re: CPM isn't dead, it's just sick - REDUX

From: John Gaskill <jg_at_info-central-usa.com>
Date: Sun 25 Nov 2001 09:44:23 -0500

On Tue 20 Nov 2001 21:17:01 -0500, Jim Sterne wrote:

>Out of context alert!
>John - we agree. The bone I'm picking with
>Rob is: What if The New Yorker were only paid
>if people responded to the ads? The result would
>be articles that said nice things about the
>sponsors. End of argument.

If The New Yorker was paid only when people responded
to the ads, the magazine would not spend its editorial
space touting products. The space would be spent
doing what they do now.

What would change, and change dramatically, would
be the type of advertising that appeared in The New
Yorker. Gone would be the fancy image ads. There
would be an increase in coupons and direct order
reply inserts. What might also happen is that the
single copy price might go up.

They would make sure they got paid for the action
that was created.

Can web publishers say they are doing the same?

Regards all,

John Gaskill
jg_at_Info-Central-USA.com
http://Info-Central-USA.com