Google

Re: Is the internet a "good" place to do business?

From: Andy Bourland <andybourland_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue 04 Dec 2001 08:20:42 -0500

IVAN WELTMAN <ivan_at_tudogs.com> WROTE:

> No. I don't think so. The big issue is whether we are
> delivering value to our site users. If our reason for being in
> business is to make a profit, we'll probably fail. If it is to
> provide a defined service to a defined community, with profit
> the incentive, we have a chance to succeed; providing our
> offering is unique, and satisfies a need for a sufficient
> number of people.

You put it far more eloquently than I did, Ivan but I do believe
we're on the same page.

This is an issue near and dear to my heart. I have written a
number of articles about it over the past couple of years.
Here are a couple of samples...

"What do Publishers Really Sell?"
http://clickz.com/design/profit_pub/article.php/832901

Contrary Words Worth Hearing
http://clickz.com/article.php/825701

Complete list
http://clickz.com/author/index.php/17083

I do agree that publishers need to serve their audience's needs
with passion and enthusiasm.

But at the same time, you have to choose and develop an audience
that has great value to advertisers and sponsors. If you have an
undifferentiated mass audience with a vague interest in a broad
topic, you ain't gonna get much for the exposure. Select a well
heeled, qualified and hard to reach audience with a very clear
focus, grow it to a critical mass, you can still do well -- even
in this economy.

It's a balance, but you can't tip the scales too far one way or
the other, lest you invite trouble.

Thanks,

Andy

=====