Google

Re: New Pricing Model

From: Brian Shepherd <Brian.Shepherd_at_TechnologyReview.com>
Date: Fri 07 Dec 2001 08:39:15 -0500

Andy Bourland replied to a some questions about
how a session pricing model would work. One of Andy's
comments was:

Bottom line, it's a PRICING model, based on a PER
SESSION rather than PER IMPRESSION basis. So if you
go to andybourland.com and surf through 5 pages,
15 pages, 300 pages -- whatever -- that's one session
the advertiser is billed for. The session advertiser
pays for the SESSION, not the number of impressions
it generates.

I would be curious to hear from other people on the
list, but what Andy says above troubles me. It would
seem that a session that generates one page view and
a different session that generates 35 page views are
worth different prices. From what I understand about
this new model, how many page views that are generated
per session means nothing, your cpm is no longer based
on pages views, but cost per thousand unique sessions.
I think given the fact that we can measure how many
page views are generated, then we should have different
levels of pricing. For instance, 1-3 page sessions @ $A
CPM, 4-7 page sessions @ $B CPM, 7-10 @ $C CPM and
anything over 10 pages @ $D CPM.

For the record, I think session based pricing is a step
in the right direction. It would just seem that with
all the tracking we can do on the web, it makes sense
to create different levels of pricing options.

Thoughts?

Brian K. Shepherd
Technology Review, Inc.
Director, Online Sales and Marketing
EMAIL: brian.shepherd_at_technologyreview.com
PHONE: 617-475-8030
http://www.technologyreview.com