Google

Re: Loyalty to Brand or Content

From: Rob Frankel <Rob_at_RobFrankel.com>
Date: Wed 09 Jan 2002 09:58:47 -0500

With all due respect, I'm not entirely sure you want to follow
Internet.com's track record of profitability here. They've bought
and crashed almost as many ventures as Disney!

I humbly submit that Alan's understanding of brand strategy is a tad
out of kilter. If he had built internet.com into a Big Time Brand,
each and every other venture the company launched would have been
more readily accepted and likely more successful, due mainly to their
roots in the successful master brand.

It's also likely that referring to it as "Internet.com's
Searchenginewatch.com" would have taken the article into a discussion
of "other successful companies they operate...."

Finally, if the brands had been hammered out and properly launched,
each brand would have resonated with its own values, standing on its
own in any article or medium. I'm not discounting content by any
means. I see the content as the fulfillment of the brand promise.

--

Rob Frankel, "Yes, I really do turn users into evangelists for your brand."
Big Time Branding (TM) http://www.RobFrankel.com