Google

Re: Loyalty to Brand or Content

From: John Gaskill <jg_at_info-central-usa.com>
Date: Thu 10 Jan 2002 20:39:55 -0500

Kelley Mitchell <esc1krm_at_ups.com> wrote:

>When does a brand add value? When it connotes
>positive attributes to a product or service. For
>instance, when you go shopping for fabric softner,
>do you look for Snuggle or Unilever products?
>Snuggle is more prominent on the label for a reason!
> >>An aside: Unilever did not carry their branding
>knowledge over to their Web site. Go to
>http://unilever.com and try to find
>some information on Snuggle - the Web site is all
>about the corporation.<<

Snuggle is the product. Unilever is its maker.

You invest in Unilever. www.unilever.com

You buy Snuggle to add to your wash or
use in the dryer. www.snuggle.com

Of the people who buy Snuggle for use with
their laundry, only a small percentage are
direct stockholders in Unilever.

When you think about it, it makes good sense.
It's not about ego, it's about business.

If I invest in Unilever, I want people to buy their
products so I can reap the dividends.

If I speculate in Unilever stock, I want other
people to churn the stock so I have more
volatility which creates buying and selling
opportunities.

If I am a Unilever manager, I want a stable
stock, rising earnings and no distractions
from shareholders concerned about why
speculators are hammering the value of
their shares. Doing business successfully
is work enough by itself. Besides, I have
to ask myself if I am interested in rewarding
speculators who make my life more difficult
or investors who don't.

How and what you advertise affects stock
market and investor perceptions of your
company, and has consequences too.

Regards to all,

John Gaskill