Google

Re: Loyalty to Brand or Content

From: Andrew Bourland <andy_at_bourland.com>
Date: Mon 14 Jan 2002 13:58:54 -0500

On 1/9/02 9:58 AM, "Rob Frankel" <Rob_at_RobFrankel.com> wrote:

> I humbly submit that Alan's understanding of brand strategy is a tad
> out of kilter. If he had built internet.com into a Big Time Brand,
> each and every other venture the company launched would have been
> more readily accepted and likely more successful, due mainly to their
> roots in the successful master brand.

Had Alan been building internet.com in a more mature industry,
he is probably a sharp enough guy that he could well have been
able to build upon the success of a "big time brand" and
brought a greater degree of success to new ventures and
acquisitions.

I LOVE HBO, and when they launch a new weekly series, because
of the "big time brand" relationship they've built with me,
I'll give that show the benefit of the doubt. "The Mind of
the Married Man" really sucked, but I'm still watching "OZ",
"Six Feet Under", "Sopranos" and "Sex and the City".

Television has had 50 years to figure things out, and the
major networks STILL can't get it right.

I think it's fair to say that INTM is still in the stage
of throwing things against the wall to see what sticks.
The industry is so darned young that it's hard to tell
whether people will respond to some of the increasingly
narrowly defined content they offer.

Hopefully over time, the sons and grandsons (figuratively
speaking) of Alan will be able to figure out what works
and what doesn't.

But somehow those guys have weathered the worst of the
storm. Better than we can say for many others whom I
thought offered better.

Andy
--
Andrew Bourland
andy_at_bourland.com

Bourland.com: Monitoring the shift from Free to Fee
Today on Bourland.com:
* Getting Started: Resource Sites Worth Bookmarking
* Mission-Critical Updates: Kroll Worldwide