Google

Re: HTML Email Open rate

From: Mark Brownlow <mark_at_keepingthekey.com>
Date: Wed 13 Mar 2002 13:48:18 -0600

> You can track the open rate by embedding a unique .gif or
> .jpg and using WebTrends or similar to count that specific
> URL.

Not that I want to spoil the party, but the invisible pixel
solution, even with a unique identifier, is *a* measure of
open rate, but not a particularly *accurate* one.

It undercounts, for example, those who open their email
offline, and overcounts (depending on implementation) those
where the email appears briefly in the preview pane on its
way to the delete folder.

At the very least, don't confuse "open rate" with "read rate".

Mark Brownlow, Author

The Keeping the Key Report
"How to give your email newsletters impact & influence"
http://www.KeepingtheKey.com/