Google

Re: Pay for Content? Ha, Say Users

From: John Gaskill <jg_at_info-central-usa.com>
Date: Thu 21 Mar 2002 22:07:06 -0600

Christopher Ulrich wrote:

>1. Why won't 90% (or whatever) of surfers pay for content
>(and "surfers" may be a key point),

That the overwhelming majority of web surfers DON'T
WANT TO PAY for content is nothing new. Most of
them believe that by paying for their Internet access
they are getting enough (and in most cases, they are).

Only when they find something particularly suited to
their own interests does that attitude change.

>2. How do we get them to see the value in content /
>information and get them to pay, and

Value in content must be real, not imagined.

Getting people to pay requires focused effort on
attracting prospects who might be interested in
the content and inspiring them to subscribe.

Use a combination of free samples and money
back guarantee.

>3. How do we identify those who will pay and make the offer
>more attractive to them and overall more profitable to us?

Don't assume that everyone is interested in what you
offer. Make the offer attractive by defining what it is
you offer and advertising your offer in media most
likely to reach your intended audience.

Those willing to pay identify themselves by responding
to your ads.

Profitability is a result of market desirability, demand,
exclusivity, and brand image -- tempered by sound
management practices and keeping your eyes on
the ball.

John Gaskill
jg_at_Info-Central-USA.com
http://Info-Central-USA.com