Google

Re: Free demo policies

From: Sean Dillon <sean_at_telegraph.co.uk>
Date: Thu 30 May 2002 09:22:17 -0600

Tom Jeffries <tjeffries_at_singingelectrons.com> wrote:

> 1. We can require a valid email address, with varying levels
> of certification of validity up to and including a requirement
> that people respond to an email sent to them before they can
> use the program. Right now our requirements are very low- the
> syntax has to be right. We get quite a few asdf_at_asdf.com.

Ideally require a valid email address in which you can include
user/serial details.

You could double that up with a real-time email validator which
shouldn't be that hard to code.

> 2. We can reduce the length of the free trial. Some of our
> competitors offer 15 day trials instead of 30, or limit the
> features.

Limiting features is probably not the way to go, personally I
want to try out a product in full to see if it will meet my
requirements in full. Restrictin functionality is a bit of
a no-no in my book and would tempt my to try another product
first.

Reducing to 15 days just means you doing what the competition
is doing, by extending it to 30 days you're offering a distinct
advantage.

Sean Dillon
Traffic Manager
www.telegraph.co.uk

e: sean_at_telegraph.co.uk
t: 020-7531-3236
f: 020-7538-7236

Hollinger Telegraph New Media Limited.
1 Canada Square, Canary Wharf, London E14 5DT.
Registered in England No 4048812.