Re: Explanation of traffic drop

From: Chris Kaminski <>
Date: Tue 11 Jun 2002 15:04:31 -0500

Search engines do not crawl pages with querystrings
(anything with a ? in the URL). It is not just ASP,
but JSP, cgi, and anything else that uses the ? format.

If your site has LOADS of inbound links, then sometimes
google will index SOME of your pages with querystrings.

You are probably experiencing a few different things.

1) Most search engines point to your OLD pages. This will
be fixed automatically over the next 2 months.

2) Search engines will probably not index your ? pages

3) When ? pages ARE indexed, they rank lower than pages
without querystrings in them.

For more info on these subjects, read

Chris Kaminski