Google

Re: Email Marketing Report

From: Paul Gaudet <paulgaudet_at_nycmail.com>
Date: Mon 15 Jul 2002 07:40:08 -0500

I just wanted to clarify my post from Friday. It appears that
I wasn't as clear as I wanted to be.

John Gaskill wrote:

>If people are ignoring your email (e.g., deleting it
>rather than reading it), making it more interactive
>will not increase its effectiveness.

>After all, a deleted interactive email is just as useless
>as a deleted plain text email. Isn't it?

>Or am I missing something?

When I used the term "interactive" to describe the report's
advice I was trying to say that the report suggests building
a two way relationship with your subscribers. I didn't mean
the email's format. Changing from plain text to something
else is pointless. It's hard to paraphrase 15 odd pages in a
single sentence though Rob Frankel seemed to do a better job
than I did.

Rob Frankel wrote:

>The trick to getting people to
>opening your e-mail is putting something inside that e-mail
>that isn't garbage, especially slow-loading, interactive
>garbage.

>Try putting something that's meaningful to them, not you, in
>there and see just how much better things get in a hurry.

The report doesn't talk about "interactive garbage" it does
talk about creating "meaningful" content for your subscribers.

In hindsight I think that the word interactive was the wrong
word to use. I hope this clears things up.

Paul Gaudet