Google

Estimating traffic and conversion

From: Michael Ormsby <mikael_at_internetcds.com>
Date: Wed 16 Jul 2003 09:26:51 -0500

I_ve been reading On Line Ads Digest for sometime,
and have a couple of questions.

We are starting up an e-commerce website that will
be a source of educational materials. Our
proprietary product will be e-learning courses
offered on CD ROM and then eventually as an
online instructional program. We estimate the
active market for these materials to be around 2 to
3 million people in the 18 to 29 year old range. We
are having difficulty predicting our ROI because we
cannot make estimates on the number of visitors
we might expect to the website, and the conversion
of these visitors to actual sales. Does anyone
know of sources for this kind of information?

Secondly, we are concerned with the ramp up time
for traffic to the website. How long does it take to
get established with search engines? If we use
PPC search engines will the website get traffic
quicker? Does it make any sense to get the
website up and running before we have developed
our full product line? We could start by capturing e-
mail addresses with a newsletter and practice
testing program and then trying to convert those to
purchases at a later date.

I appreciate any direction in solving these
problems.

Michael Ormsby
mikael_at_internetcds.com