Google

Should I sell my domain name?

From: Cliff Kurtzman <moderator_at_o-a.com>
Date: Fri 28 Jan 2005 09:09:30 -0600

During the late 1990, I ran a web site called year2000.com
with a partner in Canada. The web site provided information
helping people and companies fix their computers and software
related to the Y2K computer bug. The site was a huge
commercial success--at one point we had well over 100
sponsors on the site, with ad sales in the seven digit range.

The information on the site became obsolete after 2000, and we long
ago removed the Y2K bug-related content from the pages. I now
use the domain simply to refer people to my primary web site
(http://www.adastro.com) and to encourage them to sign up for
my newsletter. This past week, I also added Google AdSense to
the page.

There are still a lot of links on the web pointing to the domain
and it receives a fair bit of traffic... about 300-400 visits
a day (after filtering out the spiders), or about 9,000-11,000
per month. The site has a Google pagerank of 7/10.

I figure (with a lot of guesswork) that the value that the
domain currently brings me is around $400-$500 per month.

 From time to time I get inquiries from people wanting to buy the
domain. I turned down an offer of $5000 for it last year. I got
another offer of the same amount last week, and turned it down
as well, and told him $15K would be a more reasonable offer.

The guy wrote me back today to tell me:

"I usually don't buy web sites for more than $5,000 because
I don't think I can squizee out more than $500 per month from
a single site. However, I can see that your site has a greater
potential since its so old. I only have $9,500 to offer at the
moment. Would you consider that? Please let me know."

Do you think I should accept his offer?

--Cliff

Clifford R. Kurtzman, Ph.D.
CEO
ADASTRO Incorporated
A Starhold Enterprise
http://www.adastro.com
(281) 480-6300

Business IS Rocket Science

Sidenote: While infrequent, the site still brings me some press,
although it isn't clear that the press has any monetary value.

Because of the site, I was interviewed in the February issue of
Razor Magazine, ("The definitive men's magazine,"
http://www.razormagazine.com). It is part of an article called
"Then <=> Now" in which they "scoured the Earth for newsmakers
and shakers who witnessed some of the most defining moments of
the past 40 years." I'm in some very interesting company to say
the least:

They did profiles on the following:

1962, Paul Krassner, comedian/author, on the one word that ruined a career.
1973, Maury Allan, sports writer on how "the Boss" rolled into New York.
1978, Janice Dickinson, supermodel on being fabulous at Studio 54
1979, Steve Bach, former studio head/author, on the death of cinematic taste.
1980, Michael Tomczyk, computer pioneer on how nerds from Radio Shack
changed our lives
1984, Geraldine Ferraro, former congresswoman/author, on getting respect.
1985, Phil Moony, Coca-cola archivist, on how to ruin a world renowned brand.
1985, John Oates, musician, on how Quincy Jones got 45 artists to unite
the world.
1988, Larry Merchant, HBO boxing commentator, on Mike Tyson's 91
seconds of glory and the beginning of his lifetime of pain
1990, Wolf Blitzer, CNN anchor, on the death of the 30 minute newscast
1990, Vanilla Ice, rapper on the price of fame
1992, Jerry Capeci, Gangland columnist, on the day Gottie went away forever.
1992, Christian Laettner, NBA player, on the greatest college game ever played.
1993, Steven Bochco, writer/producer, on bare butts, curse words and
TV censorship
1997, Hugh Downs, TV news anchor/author, on how Marv Albert's fetishes
changed the face of hard news
1998, Charles Lane, Washington Post Staff Writer, on finding out the
Glass was half empty
2000, Cliff Kurtzman, entrepreneur, on the end of the world as we didn't know it
2002, Joanna Malloy, gossip columnist, on presidential se^men, rats,
and Matt Drudge