Google

NONE: Re: ONLINE-ADS>> VARIATION ON NEW FORM OF ADVERTISING IDEA

Re: ONLINE-ADS>> VARIATION ON NEW FORM OF ADVERTISING IDEA

Juan Camacho (juan_at_camacho.com)
Thu, 24 Oct 1996 12:35:57 -0500

>>I (Juan Camacho) wrote:
>>Why not
>>buy up other people's sig. files and pay them whenever that sig. appears on
>>discussion forums or Usenet groups. One way of monitoring this would be to
>>have the sender also Bcc: to the advertising network admin. The more labor
>>intensive approach would be to monitor each and every forum and chat area
>>(ugh!)
>>
>>Any thoughts on this twist.

>Mark Welch replied:
>Yes, I agree entirely. A great idea!

>Leonid Delitsin also replied:
>To develop the same idea, the advertisers could buy keywords in
>private e-mails sent via forwarding services and free e-mails. I don't
>know, whether searching for keywords by a robot is a privacy
>violation.
>
>Perhaps, a more practical approach would be to make several ads
>available for a writer (once again, they should be personalized and
>changed, otherwise becoming a form of spam).

Thanks Mark. I also checked out your Web Site Banner Advertising page
(http://www.ca-probate.com/comm_net.htm) and it made me wonder if this is
actually a good idea considering that web based advertising networks are
having problems attracting enough advertisers to pay member sites. Imagine
having to pitch this idea to advertising agencies.

To address Leonid's reply, if you want to really get fancy, the sender could
instead send the message WITHOUT a sig. file to the advertising network's
mail server. At which point the server on the ad network side would then
attach a sig. file and proceed to forward the message WITH an advertising
message sig. to the appropriate forum. In this way, the process is
automated, ads can be rotated and advertiser messages can be targeted for
the intended forums.

|J|u|a|n| |C|a|m|a|c|h|o| http://www.webtrack.com |
+-+-+-+-+ +-+-+-+-+-+-+-| News and databases for Web marketers,|
| 617 643-1773 | advertisers and publishers |