Google

NONE: ONLINE-ADS>> Re: Modem Media's Proposed New Ad Model

ONLINE-ADS>> Re: Modem Media's Proposed New Ad Model

Mark J. Welch, Esq. (markwelch_at_ca-probate.com)
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 12:12:09 -0700

At 11:33 AM 9/24/96 -0800, Jeff Diehl wrote:
>There is an added burden placed on host websites, which is, to assess the
>viability of the advertiser's product and the design of its website.

This hits the nail right on the head. To date, few reputable, quality
vendor has offered payment based on post-click-through transactions.
Instead, what I see are scams like "CyberKeno" and "InterLotto" that
are illegal in many states, and ridiculously overpriced products like
those offered at SoCoOL. (See http://www.ca-probate.com/comm_net.htm
for links to these sites -- and let me know of any I have omitted.)

This approach to advertising is little more than commission sales
work. It could work very well if a web site's topic matches
a vendor's products (I would certainly entertain pay-per-sale ads
for my "Caller ID" page at http://www.ca-probate.com/callerid.htm),
but ONLY if the vendor offered a quality product at a reasonable
price.

My primary web site involves estate planning & probate, and in
that area I would be unwilling to sign up for any "pay-per-sale"
ad programs (I would consider it unethical for me, as an estate
planning attorney, to collect commissions on the most likely
related-sale products.)

-- Mark J. Welch, Attorney at Law, Pleasanton CA
-- http://www.ca-probate.com 510-462-8483
-- Email is not legal advice, and is not confidential.

This week's Online Advertising Discussion List sponsors:

Need quick answers? Get a copy of the Roadmap and find your way around
click-through, banner design, and much more: http://www.cyberatlas.com

"The Ad From Hell" is just one of 11 songs that poke fun at marketing.
Check out http://www.bizblues.com for an ideal gift for anyone in the biz.
It's great blues music.